I’ve had a lot of people ask me, ‘How Do You Make Homemade Bread From Scratch Without Yeast?’
Well, it’s really easy.
I know that most moms shy away from making homemade bread because it can be a daunting task.
However, the truth is that homemade yeastless bread is the easiest homemade bread that you could ever make.
Because of the Coronavirus pandemic and lockdown, I’ve had a lot of time to experiment with different homemade bread recipes and today I’m going to share with you one of my favorites.
I actually got this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction and I’ve been spending a lot of time in the kitchen perfecting it.
The kids loved it so much that they actually insisted on learning how to make it themselves- even my husband joined in on the action 😂(It was that good!)
So let’s begin with what you’ll need.
Why I Love No Yeast Bread
Yeastless bread is very simple to make. Because it contains no yeast, it takes less preparation time (1 hour or less). This is a huge time saver for me because currently, I have to balance working from home with taking care of the family.
I also love yeastless bread because it’s very satisfying. Once I’ve baked it, the kids won’t be hungry for a while so I don’t have to prepare a lot of snacks. This actually frees up some time to do other stuff.
Lastly, you don’t need a lot of ingredients to make no yeast bread as you’ll see below.
- 2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Spoon of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Salt
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- Honey or Sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the honey and melted butter, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Add in the buttermilk to create a moist dough. Mix until combined
- Generously flour your work surface.
- Scrape the dough onto your work surface then sprinkle the top of it with additional flour.
- Knead the dough and shape it into a 6-inch domed round (the measurement doesn’t have to be accurate)
- Transfer the dough to a nonstick baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with a little more buttermilk on top.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a large “X” across the top to allow the center to bake.
- Bake the bread for about 35 minutes or until it is no longer doughy in the center. Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool before slicing and serving.
It’s really as simple as that!
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments below